A Carthage couple was indicted on two counts each of injury to a child/elderly/disabled individual with criminal negligence Dec. 20.
Shane Cody Campbell and Shannin Lea Campbell were arrested in November after Panola County Sheriff’s deputies found Shane Cambell’s mother and grandmother neglected at their home.
The Panola County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call Nov. 11 from a motorist who said there was a woman lying in the front yard of a residence on FM 959, police said.
Deputies arrived at the scene and found a woman lying on the ground on top of some trash; she was conscious but unable to speak and kept pointing towards the front of the house, police said. EMS was notified. Deputy Jeremy Nagle knocked on the door several times, but no one answered, police said, so Deputy Philip Grimes gave the woman a pen and paper, and she wrote that there was someone in the house who needed help. EMS arrived, and deputies entered the house and discovered another woman lying uncovered on the floor in her own waste, police said. She told the deputies there were other people in the house, police said.
Deputies knocked on a locked bedroom door and Shane and Shannin Campbell opened the door, police said. Shane Campbell told deputies the woman in the front yard was his mother, who is deaf and mute, and the woman inside the house is his grandmother, police said. He said he was caring for them; however, both victims told deputies they had not received any medicine, nor had they eaten in days, police said. The deputies observed trash and human waste throughout the house and on the beds and floors — and the inside temperature was 55 degrees, police said.
As of the end of November, the two women are being cared for in a Longview nursing home.
Five others were indicted for unrelated crimes in the month of December:
- Yolanda Machel Stephney was indicted for evading arrest/detention with a vehicle
- Tiffany Michele LeMoine was indicted for burglary of a habitation
- Jeffery Lynn Allison was indicted for driving while intoxicated, third offence or more
- Mariela Garcia was indicted for driving while intoxicated with a child under 15 years of age
- Jonathon Korey Gonzales was indicted for theft of a firearm, possession of controlled substance penalty group one measuring between one and four grams, and four counts of abandon endanger child criminal negligence