The National Weather Service says the rain will return Thursday and last through the week.

Scattered thunderstorms are expected to return to the region on Thursday night, the NWS said, increasing in coverage to become widespread on Friday and through much of Saturday.

There could be a couple of severe thunderstorms Friday afternoon and evening over portions of East Texas, but the sSevere weather threat should diminish by midnight Saturday morning, the NWS said.

There are more thunderstorms expected Sunday afternoon through Tuesday, and that rainfall could lead to a renewed threat for flooding, the NWS said.

The extended forecast for Carthage predicts a 30 percent chance of showers Thursday afternoon and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms that night. Chances of showers and thunderstorms raises to 50 percent on Friday, and are likely Friday night. Saturday also carries a 50 percent chance of rain, but lowers to 20 percent Saturday night.

Sunday afternoon, the chance of showers and thunderstorms goes up to 40 percent, with showers and thunderstorms likely that night and Monday afternoon. Monday night and Tuesday hold a 40 percent chance, leveling off to 20 percent Tuesday night.