Seven candidates in the 2020 U.S. Senate primary race will be in several area cities on Thursday as part of a five-campus East Texas college tour.
Build East Texas is hosting the events that will also include one candidate in the 1st U.S. Congressional District race. The events are intended to discuss issues related to the community, with candidates briefly outlining their visions for education, health care, infrastructure and economic development in East Texas.
Confirmed tour candidates seeking the nomination for senator in the Democratic primary are Chris Bell, Michael Cooper, Sema Hernandez, Adrian Ocegueda, Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez and Royce West.
One candidate opposing incumbent Sen. John Cornyn in the Republican primary — Mark Yancey — will be on the tour, along with Hank Gilbert, who is seeking the nomination in the Democratic primary for U.S. representative in the 1st Congressional District.
Candidates will meet with students, faculty, staff and the public:
- from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. in the Community Service Center conference center at Angelina College in Lufkin
- from 10 to 11 a.m. in the Baker Patillo Student Center Twilight Ballroom at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches
- from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Julius S. Scott Sr. Chapel at Wiley College in Marshall
- from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Devall Student Center Ballroom at Kilgore College in Kilgore
- from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the University of Texas at Tyler
To register for the event, go to buildetx.org/calendar.