The Carthage Main Street Youth Advisory Council is debuting its own short film festival next year at the Esquire Theater — and now accepting submissions in both the young filmmaker and independent filmmaker categories.
The new Mainstreet Film Festival is planned Saturday, Feb. 1. It’s an event created and hosted by the Main Street Youth Advisory Council, made up of teens from throughout Panola County, and is part of a wider push to make the Esquire Theater a source of promotion for all the arts.
“We strongly believe in the importance of film making and producing, especially from local artists of all ages,” Carthage Main Street Youth Advisory Council Chairman Mary Katherine Smith said in a press release. “However, artists from all over are welcome!”
The youth advisory council consists of 20 students from Carthage, Beckville and Gary high schools. Each year, the group is tasked with hosting an event or completing a project to better downtown Carthage.
Winners of the film festival will be awarded $1,600 in cash prizes, with their films being part of a public screening. A reception is also being planned for the winners.
Any genre or type of film is welcome, provided it is family-friendly.
- There are two categories: Young Filmmaker, for those 18 and below, and Independent Filmmaker, for those 19 and older.
- Films must be at least three minutes long and no longer than 25 minutes.
- Films can have been completed at any time, and filmmakers can submit more than one entry
- Submissions mean filmmakers have granted permission to screen their film if selected for the 2019 line-up
- Selected films will be shown Feb. 1. Filmmakers will be asked to provide a digital press kit containing a head-shot, filmography, black and white stills from the film, and a video trailer.
- Finalists must be present at the festival to win a prize, although organizers said they would accept a representative of the winning film if “he/she played a major role in the film’s production and we are notified at least 1 week in advance of the festival.”
- Films should be submitted on