The National Weather Service determined Sunday evening that an EF-1 tornado touched down just southwest of FM 959 north of Beckville last weekend.
The tornado touched down on a hillside and lasted about one minute, beginning at 12:18 a.m. Saturday and traveling about half a mile with a maximum width of 150 yards, the NWS said. The estimated peak wind was 110 miles per hour.
The NWS reported that the damage was limited to trees, with the majority of a few hundred pine trees in a confined area getting their trunks snapped.
“The tornado tracked northeast off the hill doing only sporadic tree damage before crossing FM 959 and inflicting mainly structural roof damage to several residences and outbuildings,” the National Weather Service said. “Radar signatures suggest the tornado lifted quickly after this point, although the survey team could not access areas to the northeast of there to confirm. The tornado was definitely at its strongest at the beginning of the path, but again, extremely limited access did not allow confirmation as to whether the actual start might have been farther to the southwest.”
The National Weather Service said that six other tornadoes were also in the four-state area late Friday night and early Saturday morning, causing the deaths of three people:
- An EF-1 tornado lasted for one minute in Cherokee County. It uprooted trees, broke windows and damaged roofs of several homes.
- An EF-1 tornado lasted for three minutes along County Road 723 south of FM 225 southwest of Nacogdoches. It caused a large tree to fall onto a mobile home, resulting in one fatality and one injury. It damaged several other trees and caused minor damage to other homes.
- An EF-0 tornado lasting three minutes touched down southwest of Karnack in Harrison County on County Road 2108. It snapped some branches along its path.
- An EF-1 tornado lasted 10 minutes close to Center. It uprooted trees and caused damage to several homes and caused one minor injury when a large tree compromised the roof structure of one home.
- An EF-2 tornado traveled 40 miles through northwest Louisiana, beginning six miles southeast of Bossier City and ending five miles north of Arcadia. That tornado uprooted hundreds of trees and completely destroyed two homes, resulting in two fatalities in one of the homes and an injury in the other.
- An EF-1 tornado lasting for four minutes touched down southeast of Spearsville in Union Parish, Louisiana, where it uprooted some trees and tore off and damaged metal roofing from multiple chicken coops.