The City of Carthage is instituting further measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), including closing parts of city facilities from the public.
The city said beginning Monday, March 23 it would:
- Close the lobby at City Hall to the public. Residents can make appointments to visit by calling (903) 693-3868.
- Limit access to the water department to just the drive-thru or by appointment. Residents can also pay their water bill online or via the night deposit box.
- Lock the lobby to the Carthage Police Department. Residents can use the door bell system to talk to the office or schedule an appointment by calling the non-emergency number at (903) 693-3866. Residents should call 911 for all emergencies.
- Close the Municipal Court office to walk-in traffic. Call (903) 693-5032 for instructions on payments. Payments can also be made using the drop box at the door.
- Lock the Carthage Fire Department to the public. Residents can schedule appointments by calling the non-emergency number at (903) 693-5282. Residents should call 911 for all emergencies.
The city said residents should check in advance if the facility is open before they visit. If residents need to visit city facilities, they are asked to continue practicing recommended hygiene habits and social distancing.
The city said the planned March 23 city commission meeting has been cancelled. The city has also cancelled all meetings at the Carthage Civic Center, the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame and the Davis Park Community Center.